• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
Hey guyz,

After succesfully building my toolchain for iOS on Linux, I've found it quite hard to extract the neccessary frameworks and headers from the official SDK. For your convenience, I've whipped up the 4.2 version of "sysxx.tgz" (you know, those random files bouncing on the Net lol).

Here you are (it's almost 1 gig): http://www.2shared.c...d/sys42tar.html

Regards, Arpad

EDIT: I also decided to post the prebuilt toolchain. Confirmed to work on Ubuntu linux x64 with iOS 4. NOTE: because I built it, for your home directory it won't find the sys42 files, so you have to explicitly add -isysroot /home/path/to/sys42 to your Makefile/CFLAGS. Here you go: http://www.2shared.c..._iOS_42tar.html

Edited by H2CO3, 29 January 2011 - 12:59 AM.

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
If you have downloaded these tarballs, could you please give me some feedback? I saw that three people have already downloaded it and wanna know whether it works or not. Thank you! :-)

przndoom5

przndoom5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you have downloaded these tarballs, could you please give me some feedback? I saw that three people have already downloaded it and wanna know whether it works or not. Thank you! :-)

I am currently downloading them...Correct me if I am wrong but can't the frameworks be extracted from the iPhone firmware itself? Oh also what's the significance of the sysxx.tgz file? Thanks.

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
From iOS 3.1 and on, the binaries of the frameworks are no longer present in the iPhone's filesystem iteself.
The prebuilt toolchain is only the compiler and the Objective-C runtime library, where the sys42.tgz contains the framework headers/libraries (i. e. UIKit, Foundation, CoreLocation etc.) Without these frameworks, you won't be able to e. g. write an app with a GUI.

przndoom5

przndoom5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

From iOS 3.1 and on, the binaries of the frameworks are no longer present in the iPhone's filesystem iteself.
The prebuilt toolchain is only the compiler and the Objective-C runtime library, where the sys42.tgz contains the framework headers/libraries (i. e. UIKit, Foundation, CoreLocation etc.) Without these frameworks, you won't be able to e. g. write an app with a GUI.

Oh OK Thanks :) By the way, if I wanted to contact you...are you going to be active on this forum or shall I contact you somewhere else?

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
Here is fine, and you can also mail me.

zygh0st

zygh0st

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
You mind if I mirror these on one of my servers? I hit the first link and found out quickly that 2shared sucks, haha. I reckon it would help out any other adventurous folk to have an option for at least the toolkit you compiled, if not both packages. Don't want to be doing it without your blessing; though, since it's your baby. Thanks for posting this, BTW. I've been looking for a real option to developing on a platform I actually have for a while now!

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
I'd appreciate if you mirrored them.

zygh0st

zygh0st

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alrighty! Took a bit because I had a network outage (at home not with the server.) There you have it though, go nuts! If you need any other large files mirrored let me know, I'd be happy to help you out any way I can.

Forgot to mention that I had migrated domains. The toolchain downloads are now at the following URLs:

http://repo.maliciou..._iOS_4.2.tar.gz

http://repo.maliciou...ls/sys42.tar.gz

Enjoy and don't forget to thank H2CO3 for making such fine utilities available!

Edited by zygh0st, 30 June 2011 - 09:24 PM.
links are dead and user is notified

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
Fine, thanx a lot! Did you do somthing already?

zygh0st

zygh0st

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Fine, thanx a lot! Did you do somthing already?

Unfortunately, my primary laptop just took a big crap on me. I still have a backup Ubuntu one though so I'm going to drop the toolchain on it and see what I can figure out. I wasn't completely certain whether the toolchain tar was meant to be unzipped to the root to match the filesystem or not, either (simple tasks are my downfall, just can't do it if it's painfully obvious to others); but that's easy enough to figure out. If it doesn't work one way go the other, haha.

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
No, if it was meant to be extracted as per the system root, I would have provided it as a deb. You just extract it to e. g. ~/ and then set the sysroot (<DIR_WHERE_YOU_EXTRACTED>/toolchain/sys) in a makefile (except if your username is also H2CO3, because gcc looks for sysroot according ti the build environmrnt.

zygh0st

zygh0st

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Right on, that makes sense; which is why it wasn't obvious to me haha. Geeze I haven't seen any C based anything in a long time, I feel like a n00b again. It'll be good to relearn since I've never worked with ARM anyway. Kind of off topic here, but I've been wondering if it were possible to build applications using the GTK+ framework if one were to port it to the iOS, but I haven't looked into it at all. It was something I just happened to randomly think of. What are you using for your IDE? Trusty vim?

No, if it was meant to be extracted as per the system root, I would have provided it as a deb. You just extract it to e. g. ~/ and then set the sysroot (<DIR_WHERE_YOU_EXTRACTED>/toolchain/sys) in a makefile (except if your username is also H2CO3, because gcc looks for sysroot according ti the build environmrnt.

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Right on, that makes sense; which is why it wasn't obvious to me haha. Geeze I haven't seen any C based anything in a long time, I feel like a n00b again. It'll be good to relearn since I've never worked with ARM anyway. Kind of off topic here, but I've been wondering if it were possible to build applications using the GTK+ framework if one were to port it to the iOS, but I haven't looked into it at all. It was something I just happened to randomly think of. What are you using for your IDE? Trusty vim?

IDE = Gedit + Terminal + Makefile LOL (TBH it's not worth bothering with GTK, UIKit is much comfortable for devs. And porting to iOS sucks. I mean it sucks. I don't think one will ever be able to compile GTK for iOS.)

Edited by H2CO3, 28 February 2011 - 03:13 PM.

spacedude36

spacedude36

Its Sn0wing!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Alrighty! Took a bit because I had a network outage (at home not with the server.) There you have it though, go nuts! If you need any other large files mirrored let me know, I'd be happy to help you out any way I can.

prebuilt_toolchain_iOS_4.2.tar.gz Mirrored @ objectivenoeses.com

sys42.tar.gz Mirrored @ objectivenoeses.com

Damn man! Thanks for that mirror, got like 10 mb/s!

heyyo

heyyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thanks man!

I've downloaded the two tarballs and unzipped it in my computer (I'm using Ubuntu 32 bits).

Correct me if I'm wrong but now I just have to modify some Makefile lines to match the toolchain and the headers?

Something like:

CC=/home/personal_folder/prebuilt_toolchain_iOS_4.2/pre/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc

LDFLAGS += -F"/home/personal_folder/sys42/System/Library/Frameworks"

I'm a noob at this...

Sorry for my bad english

H2CO3

H2CO3

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Hi,

Thanks man!

I've downloaded the two tarballs and unzipped it in my computer (I'm using Ubuntu 32 bits).

Correct me if I'm wrong but now I just have to modify some Makefile lines to match the toolchain and the headers?

Something like:

CC=/home/personal_folder/prebuilt_toolchain_iOS_4.2/pre/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc

LDFLAGS += -F"/home/personal_folder/sys42/System/Library/Frameworks"

I'm a noob at this...

Sorry for my bad english

Yeah, sure. Just modify the location as per your system configuration. Even LDFLAGS += -F"/home/personal_folder/sys42/System/Library/Frameworks" is unneccesary (gcc automagically looks for the framework headers and binaries in <sysroot>/System/Library/Frameworks).

Good luck!

heyyo

heyyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay thanks for your answer.

I'm gonna try this tonight.

Edited by heyyo, 17 March 2011 - 04:55 PM.

heyyo

heyyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Bad news :confused:, I've tested with a simple HelloWorld but it throw me an error when I do the make.

Then I tried to execute only gcc but always the same error:

./arm-apple-darwin9-gcc: 1: ELF: not found
./arm-apple-darwin9-gcc: 2: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Has someone got this error?

CFolly

CFolly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Bad news :confused:, I've tested with a simple HelloWorld but it throw me an error when I do the make.

Then I tried to execute only gcc but always the same error:

./arm-apple-darwin9-gcc: 1: ELF: not found
./arm-apple-darwin9-gcc: 2: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Has someone got this error?

This error is because this Toolchain was compiled using ubuntu 64bits.
I had this same error with Ubuntu 32bits. After change to Ubuntu64 10.10
./arm-apple-darwin9-gcc is now running.

i've unpacked the toolchain in the folder /home/h2co3/ios-
toolchain/toolchain

and the headers in /home/h2co3/ios-toolchain/toolchain/sys folder

I´ve download HelloToolchain from
http://code.google.c...phonedevonlinux, edited Makefile for the gcc
path end executed make.

After, i copied the Hellotoolchain.app folder generated to the iPhone Application
folder, changed the files HelloToolchain and
HelloToolchan_ permission to 755 and restarted Springboard.

Voila!!!

Posted Image

It´s works!!

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks

CFolly

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->