Advertisement

Photo

10 of the weirdest Apple Watch apps

Today, 07:00 PM

Posted By x-bot in iDevice News
There are plenty of great apps for the Apple Watch, but what about the weird ones? It turns out that developers have some interesting ideas for what you’d want to do on your wrist. Here are some of the weirdest, mostmf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Hot deals ending soon: Save 67% on 2-year subscription to...

Today, 04:15 PM

Save big on top selling gear and services every day at Cult of Mac Deals. Time is running out to save big on a 2-year subscription to NordVPN, VOXOA HD wireless headphones, the GT-ZO1 touchscreen dashcam, and more. 2-Year Subscriptionmf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Apple Watch vs Apple Watch Sport: Unboxing and full compa...

Today, 04:13 PM

lead.png?w=655&h=369

If you’re still debating on which Apple Watch model to order, we may have a bit of help/advice to offer. Apple Watch Sport is the cheapest option to go for, but what exactly will you be missing over one that’s more expensive? Well, we took the plunge, picked up a few of them, and put together a helpful comparison video between these models…

img.php?z=1288305&k=0d0633b70e3c2bda246a

First off, it’s important to note that not only is there a difference in materials between the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport, there’s also a major difference in presentation. Apple Watch is packaged to seem like more of a premium product over its sporty brother. That’s not to say one is definitely better than the other when it comes to opening the box, but there are a few things that could make the decision easier.

The packaging on Apple Watch is designed to appear like it came straight from a jewelry shop. The box it comes with is large and square (unlike the rectangular box with the Sport version) and inside you’ll find a compact case to protect the Apple Watch during storage or traveling. Apple Watch Sport includes a similar box (but much longer). While the Sport’s box isn’t low quality by any means, there’s something about Apple Watch’s presentation that makes the extra bit of money seem worth it. But check out the video below and be the judge yourself.

Watch our Apple Watch vs Sport unboxing & comparison video:

Obviously fancier packaging is not the only thing you’ll get with Apple Watch. The materials being used are very different as well. On the front side of Apple Watch, the display is covered in sapphire crystal, while Apple Watch Sport features a much weaker Ion-X glass. On the back side, the sensors are housed by a ceramic plate on Apple Watch, while the Sport variation is made up of composite.

The most visible difference between these two models comes down to the casing materials. Apple Watch Sport is made from 7000 series aluminum. The Space Gray Sport we’ve shown in the above video is a very sleek device, but nothing shines like the 316L stainless steel used to create the Apple Watch casing. Along with that, the 2m magnetic charging docks between these two are different. Apple Watch’s charger has a brushed steel casing, while the Sport’s is plastic.

As far as software goes, there won’t be any differences and the overall form-factor will remain the same unless you go with the much smaller 38mm casing shown in the comparison video above. Either way, hopefully this comparison video will help identify all of the differences between Apple’s smartwatch options. Personally, I prefer the Apple Watch over the Sport, but this is still a first generation product. You’re money may be better placed in a light investment of a Sport for now. Both models are great, but it really depends on what you’re looking for.

Filed under: Apple Watch Tagged: Apple, Apple watch, Apple Watch Sport, comparison, video 376920 376920 376920 376920 376920 376920 376920 b.gif?host=9to5mac.com&blog=22754319&pos

Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of Apple, Apple watch, and Apple Watch.

What do you think? Discuss "Apple Watch vs Apple Watch Sport: Unboxing and full comparison (Video)" with our community.

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

First 12″ MacBook 1.3GHz benchmarks: top model rivals 1.4...

Today, 02:50 PM

gold-macbook-internals.png?w=704&h=321

Following Apple’s shipments of the first 1.3GHz versions of the 12″ MacBook this week, benchmarks have started to appear online for the new Intel Core M-5Y71 machine. Geekbench 3 shows the following results for each model, which vary based on the testing mode (32/64-bit) and number of processor cores used (single or multiple cores).

MacBook 1.1GHz

• 32-Bit: Single-Core Average 2212, Multi-Core Average 4070
  • 64-Bit: Single-Core Average 2428, Multi-Core Average 4592

MacBook 1.2GHz

• 32-Bit: Single-Core Average 2348, Multi-Core Average 4603
  • 64-Bit: Single-Core Average 2579, Multi-Core Average 5185

MacBook 1.3GHz

• 32-Bit: Single-Core* 2271, Multi-Core* 4841
  • 64-Bit: Single-Core Average 2816, Multi-Core Average 5596

The 1.3GHz MacBook’s 64-bit scores represent 16%-22% improvements over the 1.1GHz model, and 8%-9% gains over the 1.2GHz model. Note that only one test result has been published so far for the 1.3GHz MacBook in 32-bit mode, which is why its single-core numbers look lower than expected compared with the other models’ averages. More details are below…

Combing through Geekbench 3 results, the 1.3GHz MacBook’s scores compare most directly to Apple’s 1.4GHz Macs, such as the entry-level 21.5″ iMac and early 2014 entry-level MacBook Air. The latter model achieved Single- and Multi-Core scores in the 2400/4700 range for 32-Bit tests, and 2700/5300 for 64-Bit tests.

Geekbench 3’s Single-Core scores reflect the machines’ relative speeds when performing non-demanding tasks such as basic web browsing and word processing. Multi-Core scores demonstrate the machine’s ability to perform more complex tasks demanding additional processing power, such as video rendering.

The 1.3GHz MacBook is available only as a custom build-to-order model, but authorized resellers are now offering it at discounted prices.

Filed under: AAPL Company, General, Mac Tagged: 12" MacBook, benchmarks, MacBook, Retina MacBook 376911 376911 376911 376911 376911 376911 376911 b.gif?host=9to5mac.com&blog=22754319&pos

Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of AAPL Company, Mac, and MacBook.

What do you think? Discuss "First 12″ MacBook 1.3GHz benchmarks: top model rivals 1.4GHz iMac, 2014 MacBook Air" with our community.

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

How to turn great iOS app ideas into something real

Today, 02:00 PM

My friends, family and even complete strangers are constantly asking me how to get their million-dollar app idea in the App Store. This is always a shocker for me because, after countless hours of hard work over the past twomf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Apple: ‘We do not accept fart apps on the Apple Watch’

Today, 02:00 PM

Those of you who were hoping the Apple Watch would usher in a new era of flatulence apps, prepare to be disappointed: Apple has already rejected the first app that serves no purpose other than to allow people to makemf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Woz needs our help to become a Madame Tussaud’s wax figur...

Today, 01:00 PM

It’s time for the Cult of Mac to mobilize. Apple co-founder, Segway enthusiast, and all-around snuggly bear Steve Wozniak has won many honors and awards over the years, but this could be the greatest one yet: he’s up to bemf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Review: ChargeTech’s ChargeAll Portable Power Outlet lets...

Today, 01:00 PM

chargeall-1.jpg?w=704&h=470

The first time I found an AC wall outlet under my seat on an airplane, I realized that I could use my MacBook Pro with its wall charger for hours, even if I’d partially discharged the battery before boarding. Later, when I rode a bus with an AC outlet onboard, the freedom to enjoy my laptop for hours made the long trip feel brief. But I’ve had far more trips without AC outlets than with them, and there have been plenty of times when my MacBook could really have used a recharge mid-trip.

That’s why I’m genuinely excited about ChargeTech’s ChargeAll Portable Power Outlet ($150-$200), which primarily exists to give you access to an AC outlet literally anywhere you might be — something that I can’t believe has taken so long to become available. There are two versions, one with 12,000mAh of power, and the other with 18,000mAh of power, either with enough energy to keep your MacBook going for hours on the road. Both units have the overcharge and short circuit protection you’d expect from a surge board — the difference is that you can toss them into a bag or a car…

Key Details:

• Portable MacBook charger with ability to add nearly 50%-70% additional run time, depending on capacity chosen
  • Has full three-prong AC outlet built-in, works with MacBook chargers
  • Includes twin 2.4-Amp USB ports for use with iPads, iPhones, iPods
  • International AC plug converter and carrying case in package
  • Recharges very quickly

chargeall-3.jpg?w=704&h=470

Sold in white or black, the ChargeAll units aren’t small: the 18,000mAh version I tested is 7.3″ wide by 5.1″ by 1.1″ at its largest points, slightly smaller in footprint than an iPad mini, but roughly four times as thick. There’s a power button on the top, alongside a small four-light remaining power indicator. It’s shipped with a drawstring carrying bag, a wall adapter of its own, and a converter that adapts a variety of foreign plugs to its three-prong input. International users should bear in mind that it outputs 110-120V 60Hz power from the AC port, which means that it’s fine for use with all of Apple’s laptops and pretty much anything with a switching power adapter.

One of the biggest surprises during my ChargeAll testing was the speed that the portable outlet itself is recharged from wall power using the included 40-Watt/2-Amp adapter. I’ve become so accustomed to sluggish charging that I was thrilled to see it go from empty to full in around two and a half hours, similar to the speed of fully recharging my Retina MacBook Pro. Another way to look at this: three hours before a trip, you plug your ChargeAll and MacBook in to separate wall outlets, pack them both with the MacBook’s wall adapter, and you’re ready to roll.

chargeall-5.jpg?w=704&h=470

There are different ways to use ChargeAll: you could conceivably connect it to a MacBook while it’s being used, or leave it charging when the MacBook’s closed and sleeping. Doing the latter — which provides the most linear way of measuring the power it adds — I found in one test that the 18,000mAh cell took a completely discharged 13″ Retina MacBook Pro to 72% power. Oddly, in another test with the same machine in partially charged condition, it restored 66%, for an average of 69% (or roughly 7 hours of additional run time) across the tests. ChargeAll’s smaller 12,000mAh version should add a bit under 5 hours of life to a 13″ Pro; Apple’s 11″ and 13″ MacBook Airs have smaller batteries, and would expect to get even longer added run times.

chargeall-6.jpg?w=704&h=470

ChargeAll also has twin 2.4-Amp USB ports capable of recharging other Apple devices at full speeds. The ports glow blue while they’re in use, a surprise given that most other batteries I’ve tested try to conserve as much energy as possible. Using the 18,000mAh model, I was able to more than fully recharge a dead iPad Air 2, achieving one dead-to-full recharge and then adding 64% to a partially discharged unit in a second test, for a total of 164%. The 12,000mAh version should have enough power for nearly a 110% recharge of the same iPad, or about 100% for the original iPad Air. Since there are dozens of good iPad batteries out there at aggressive prices, ChargeAll’s not likely to be the first pick for that purpose, but as a Mac charging station with iPad and iPhone support as a backup, it makes a lot of sense.

chargeall-2.jpg?w=704&h=470

It’s worth mentioning that ChargeAll’s solution has several practicality advantages and one disadvantage relative to Gbatteries Energy’s BatteryBox. You get to use MagSafe rather than a somewhat awkward plastic clamp, get similar extra power at a lower price, and have a battery that’s not as boxy to carry in a bag. ChargeAll can also be used either as a live power source or as a recharger for the battery; BatteryBox only works as a live power source for the MacBook. That said, BatteryBox consumes less space overall than carrying both ChargeAll and Apple’s wall adapter; it also includes one 2.1-Amp USB port for iPad charging.

Given all that ChargeAll does right, my only concern is one that’s common to virtually all external charging solutions: longevity. While the accessory feels solidly made and promises a very standard 500 uses before battery issues may develop — enough to last for a couple of years of normal, near-daily use, which is appropriate to both asking prices — BatteryBox’s more restrictive “live power only” use of its battery promises twice the normal number of recharge cycles. You’ll have to choose between a longer-lasting but more restrictive solution, or one that will likely work well for a couple of years — perhaps longer — with a wider variety of MacBooks and devices.

chargeall-4.jpg?w=704&h=470

From my perspective, ChargeAll’s the easier pick. I absolutely love the fact that I can now carry an AC outlet anywhere I go, and the price points strike me as reasonable given the functionality being offered here. Overall, there’s no better option I’ve found for on-the-go MacBook recharging, and the iPad recharging is a nice bonus.

Manufacturer:
ChargeTechMSRP / Sale Prices:
$150 (12,000mAh) / $200 (18,000mAh)Compatibility:
All MacBooks, iPads, iPhones
Filed under: AAPL Company, General, Mac, Reviews Tagged: AC Power, ChargeAll, ChargeTech, MacBook, Portable Power Outlet 375549 375549 375549 375549 375549 375549 375549 b.gif?host=9to5mac.com&blog=22754319&pos

For more news on AAPL Company, Reviews, and Mac continue reading at 9to5Mac.

What do you think? Discuss "Review: ChargeTech’s ChargeAll Portable Power Outlet lets any MacBook (or other Apple device) refuel on the road" with our community.

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

The Apple Watch’s S1 chip looks great under X-Ray

Today, 12:30 PM

Yesterday, we reported that the S1 microprocessor inside the Apple Watch was roughly equivalent to the A5 chip inside the iPhone 4s, iPad mini, and iPad 2. But if you wanted even more detail on what makes the Apple Watch’smf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.img

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Apple Watch Edition at Apple Watch Sport (+can of spray p...

Today, 12:27 PM

It is what is on the inside that counts, right? All Apple Watches are the same under the skin and Casey Neistat, semi-famous for other Apple launch videos, decided he was going to turn his $399 Apple Watch into a $399 Apple Watch with gold spray paint on it. The idea is that passersby would think it was an Edition, and all that comes along with that, I guess.

casey-neistat-gold-apple-watch.png?w=704

To be honest, the spray paint better matches the “Aluminum Gold” iPhones, iPads and now MacBooks but I have to imagine the button/crown and some of the sensors will take a hit.

Filed under: Apple Watch Tagged: Aerosol paint, Apple watch, Casey Neistat, YouTube 376903 376903 376903 376903 376903 376903 376903 b.gif?host=9to5mac.com&blog=22754319&pos

Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of Apple watch, Apple Watch, and YouTube.

What do you think? Discuss "Apple Watch Edition at Apple Watch Sport (+can of spray paint) price?" with our community.

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 108 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing, Yahoo

• 564089 Total Posts
  • 529869 Total Members
  • JarredDent Newest Member
  • 12756 Most Online

108 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

0 members, 108 guests, 0 anonymous users   (See full list)

Google, Bing, Yahoo

Portal v1.4.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS
IPB skins by Skinbox