5 replies to this topic

bob_the_nailer

bob_the_nailer

Pwned

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
Posted Image
The heat of the new iPad tablet reaches temperatures of around 116 degrees — about 13 degrees warmer than the iPad2 -- according to results of heat tests conducted by Consumer Reports that were released Tuesday.

The magazine found that the heat tended to be most concentrated on the lower left-hand corner of the tablet.
In its first look at Apple’s newest iPad released on Friday, Consumer Reports said that the tablet was “shaping up to be the best tablet we’ve ever tested, whether from Apple or any other manufacturer.” The short review went on to say that the display, graphics power and camera were all worthwhile upgrades to the tablet. “Apple has taken an excellent product and improved it significantly, if not dramatically.”

But chatter on Apple’s support forums and on tech blogs prompted Consumer Reports to release a statement saying that it would pay specific attention to the heat issue as it continued to review the iPad. The magazine famously withheld its “recommended” rating from the the iPhone 4 because of the “Antennagate” problem — the weak signal strength that users suffered when they held the iPhone in a certain way. The magazine has yet to say whether it will recommend the new iPad.

As users tried out the updated tablet over the weekend, several reports began to crop up that Apple’s hot new product was running a fever. Users have reported that the new iPad is noticeably warm to the touch after it’s been used for a while, unlike its predecessors. Others have noted that the heat seems to be concentrated in a “warm corner,” to the left of the home button. In some cases, users said it was so hot that it was uncomfortable to hold.

Consumer Reports reviewer Donna Tapellini said that in tests even when the tablet was “at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable” when held for a short period of time. Tapellini said that the iPad seems to be a bit hotter when it’s plugged in.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said that anyone who is concerned about the heat from their iPad should let the company know.

“The new iPad delivers a stunning retina display, a5x chip, supports 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life all while operating well within our thermal specifications,” Harrison said. “If customers have any concerns, they should contact AppleCare.”

The health effects of high electronics use has been an area of concern in the past. A 2004 study suggested that men who take “laptop” literally could be damaging their fertility, since heat has a negative effect on sperm production. In 2010, another study linked laptop use to “toasted skin syndrome,” a mottled-skin pattern that appears on the thighs of users who keep their computers on their legs for too long. Cellphone radiation has been a perennial concern. The city of San Francisco even passed an ordinance — ultimately removed— that required retailers to post cellphone radiation levels. In May 2011, the World Health Organization said that cellphones are “possibly carcinogenic.”
Via WashingtonPost

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

dlx5

dlx5

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
mine takes 8-9 hrs to charge and drain in 5-6 hrs on wifi.

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I am pretty sure that this heating up iPad thing is as bad as the battery on the 4S and as bad as the antennae on the 4.

Meaning it isn't that horrible at all, people can adapt and live with it.

Like the saying goes "You've made it big once you have got some haters." Congrats Apple.

Gareth

Gareth

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everybody always freaks out when electronics get warm. I don't understand it.

They clearly generate heat as they do calculations, the more intense applications you use, the warmer it will get. There is no fan in it. It obviously will get even warmer as it charges and the charging circuit heats up inside. Heat + Heat = Greater Heat. I don't own a piece of electronics that doesn't get warm (whether it be on the inside or outside where I can touch it), I don't know of a battery that doesn't heat as it charges, so until they invent that stuff, ya, your tablet is going to heat up, even more so when charging, and even more when charging, playing a game, and on Wifi or using email push or something. Even hotter if you are running GPS too!

Also, you are holding it, therefore you are insulating the hot part. Insulation means that it isn't going to dissipate heat as quickly. What if you have a case on it? It wasn't designed for a case, Apple makes a smart COVER, not a case. A case is even more insulation, therefore even less heat dissipation.

I mean, come on people, electronics get WARM! And, Apple stuff is so tightly packed, I think it has less to do with the fact that it gets warm, but it's that it's so slim and packed, you can feel it, and people aren't comfortable with it.

I will use this example: my iPhone 4S had a heat issue on 5.0 firmware, after much research, I discovered the GPS was ON all the time and was hung trying to triangulate for cell search or time zone or something. So, it was on and being used, using 3G to send this data, and using GPS to acquire the data to send, and the thing got way hotter than it should've. Was there a logical explanation: Yes. Was it fixed when I manually turned off cell triangulation and time zone using GPS: Yes. Did I need to wait for a firmware update for Apple to do it for me? No.

mine takes 8-9 hrs to charge and drain in 5-6 hrs on wifi.

Back to the iPad, I bought one, I play with it alot. To dlx5: That seems kind of slow charging, are you using the charger it came with or an iPhone charger? I found that an iPhone charger is only 5Watt, while the iPad charger is 10Watt, so double charging rate. I thought it was interchangeable at first, until I realized my iPhone charger was so hot I could barely touch it and my iPad was barely charging. 2nd, is your bluetooth on, it is by default, disabling that will extend battery life. You have a 3G or a Wifi edition? I have a Wifi. I also made sure I disabled several of the Location Services, as those are oftentimes an issue with battery life. I left Find My iPad ON, I left push exchange mail ON, iTunes Match is ON, etc. Mine seems to last quite a while unless I'm playing a game. And you saw that article the other day about Free games using up way more battery life because they use the GPS to push location based iAds to your iPad. You can opt out of location based ads somewhere I think, but I don't remember where. Then they just send you generic ads and don't try and use your GPS to send the ad.

Just a few thoughts from someone tired of people whining about heat and battery issues, I've had all 5 iPhones and I've an iPad 1 and I have the new iPad. Apple takes their sweet time with fixes, so you might as well look into the issue yourself if you have one.

Gervs

Gervs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Mine is fine, no warm corner or general heating and I am definitely a power user (btw mine is 64gb wifi only). The prob is that people/fanboys put apple products on a pedestal (no, I am not talking about dock stands) so even the tiniest flaw is constantly picked on. If mine was getting hot/really hot but the performance was no different to me and it wasn't damaging itself (was still operating within guideline temps), I honestly would not care. Perhaps its coz I have been using Samsung galaxy s2 for last 8 months, now that's a device that gets hot (front and back) and if you overclock; it is literally too hot to handle. But the web isn't full of reports of over heating probs (perhaps a few) just praise for its thinness and fast performance. No pedestal, shorter drop.
The battery takes so long to charge as it has a much higher capacity than previous iPads, I have read on various sites that it's akin to a laptop battery and is needed keep the display running for approx. 10 hours (apple's quoted battery life whilst in use).

Just wanted to ask anyone who is using both iPad 2 and 3 whether the weight difference is noticeable? As this is my first iPad and it feels quite heavy, again this may be down to me using the galaxy s2 phone for a while, it's jus so light (you hardly know its there).

dlx5

dlx5

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
@Gareth

good point man, i have been using my iphone charger to charge my ipad i didnt know there was a difference. I will try with the original ipad charger to see the difference. I have had all 5 iphones as well and now my first ipad and i am happy with all of them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by dlx5, 21 March 2012 - 03:26 PM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->