New iPad Owners Blow Through Their Entire Data Plan in Hours

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

smcrack

smcrack

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts
The Wall Street Journal is reporting on what may become a major concern for owners of the new iPad, extreme data use.

Brandon Wells got the new iPad last Friday, started wirelessly streaming March Madness games the next day and by Saturday night was out of gas. Two hours of college basketball-which he viewed mounted to his car dashboard and live at tournament games-had burned through his monthly wireless data allotment of two gigabytes.

The journal relays numerous stories of other customers who have encountered similar situations. Just a few hours of using their new tablet and poof, there goes their data plan.

4G LTE lets users browse faster and consume higher quality content. One issue complicating matters is that many web services analyze your connection to determine what quality content to serve. Thanks to the fast speed of LTE, these web services are likely serving the highest quality content previously reserved for Wi-Fi.

With cellular networks trying to squeeze every dollar possible from their customers it may be a while before you can browse freely on your new iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWrjaDLjLaM

Read More on WSJ

[via iClarified]

iPhone 4 | 32GB | iOS 5 Jailbroken

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

stevieg

stevieg

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Don't an idiot and watch live games while driving. A depleted data plan is the least of your worries.

Edited by stevieg, 21 March 2012 - 05:26 PM.

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I am kinda split on this issue this iPad has created, as it is kinda both the user's and website's fault.

It is the website's fault in the sense that it serves higher quality content for 4G LTE devices as it will drain through its plan quickly. However, the User's should be smart enough to not go crazy on their data usage.

swizzle23

swizzle23

Jailbroken

• +Contributor
  • 509 posts

Don't an idiot and watch live games while driving. A depleted data plan is the least of your worries.

Where did it say anything about him driving? It says he was also watching them "live at tournament games" so I took it to mean he was probably tailgating in the parking lot for the later game that he was attending and watching the early games in his car on the iPad.

hotstuff2

hotstuff2

Pwned

• +Contributor
  • 607 posts
Seriously, only a Posted Image idiot would watch 2 hours of streaming video and NOT realize that they've used more than 2GB of data. Posted Image This is NOT the web services nor AT&T's problem, it's squarely on the user. Posted Image

CaptainKatz

CaptainKatz

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thank god I still have my iPad 2.

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Seriously, only a Posted Image idiot would watch 2 hours of streaming video and NOT realize that they've used more than 2GB of data. Posted Image This is NOT the web services nor AT&T's problem, it's squarely on the user. Posted Image

As I stated before, I still think its 50/50 because given that websites detect ur Internet speed in order to determine the quality of content needs to be changed with LTE since it offers fast speeds. However, that user is stupid for doing what he did.

GADeputy

GADeputy

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
It's simple common sense. If you're going to be streaming video then make sure you're connected via wifi.

iPhone 5 16GB
Firmware 6.1
Jailbroken with evasi0n

iPad 3 16GB
Firmware 6.1
Jailbroken with evasi0n

Modstack

Modstack

Legendary Pirate

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You could also disable Mobile Data while on wifi as well to be sure.

vinaygoel2000

vinaygoel2000

xSellize Fan

• +Contributor
  • 2852 posts
Not that I have an iPad but what would happen if I put my microsim from my iPhone 4S to an iPad 3 4G. I do have unlimited data plan. Would I get unlimited 4G until AT&T finds out?

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Not that I have an iPad but what would happen if I put my microsim from my iPhone 4S to an iPad 3 4G. I do have unlimited data plan. Would I get unlimited 4G until AT&T finds out?

I do not know how it works in the US, but I am pretty sure you would only get unlimited 3G. I know in Canada, to get LTE data, you have to buy a plan that has LTE data available. Any older plans will not give you LTE. But of course, this is in Canada, and the US system could be different, especially since Canadian telecommunication companies try to rob their consumers.

RedDevil

RedDevil

iPhone Guru

• +Contributor
  • 528 posts
Idiots deserve this. Get a portable wifi hotspot for gods sake.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->