• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello, Moxi here, I am new to the forums, as you can tell :wink:.

I have seen a lot of people having problems with Cydia crashes Etc. via the Support forum.

I have written a very well in-depth tutorial on how to fix crashes on start up, and defects in general, it is very long, as a heads up, but is worth it if you want to fix these problems without having to re-jailbreak.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to PM me, or post down below, and let me know if this helped you, I actually wrote this out myself on my website (Will not list for various reasons, one being advertising) If you would like to know the site, again, PM me :).

without further ado, the guide!

Before i get started, a list of a few things will be needed, as I do not want to waste your time, by finding out in the middle of the proccess you do not have access to one of these.

1. WinSCP program (If you do not have this program,please search WinSCP download via Google.com)

2. A WiFi connection (Just a plugged in router is fine, and by that i mean, your computer does not have to have internet access,and the router can use it, those of you who have this problem, know what I’m talking about.)

3. MobileTerminal (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, if you can’t it’s no big deal, but if deffinetly makes the proccess faster.)

4. ToggleSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as you will need this inorder to use WinSCP.)

5. AutomaticSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as again, you will need this to use WinSCP.)

Now, Since we now have everything we need, let’s get started.
First off, open MobileTerminal via your iPhone/iPod Touch, wait for it to load (this will only take a few seconds.)
Upon it loading, type in the following:

"SU"

It will then ask you to login, asking for a password, the password is “alpine” and is typed in as the following:

"alpine"

After entering a password, you will then need to type in the following as so:

"apt-get update"

This will try and resolve the problem, by finding a direct problem with Cydia, what this does, is look for the source, and or application that is corrupt, which is causing Cydia to crash at random.
You will get something as listed below (Example:)

"/var/lib/apt/lists/acuemedia.com_repertgee_cydia_packages"

What this is, is telling you what exactly is the problem with Cydia, whether it be listing an application, or a direct source.
What you do from here is simple.
Your next step is to either write down that source/application, as we will be needing to delete this via WinSCP.

Skip this step if you received a message stating the source/application.
If you did not get a source or application listed. If you got a messege such as “Fatal” or another stating there was nothing wrong, or you just coulnd’t get it to work at all, in any way shape or form. You are going to have to delete everything in the folder we are going into in the next step, please read on.

Go into your device, whether it be an iPhone, and or iPod Touch, go into Toggle SSH, and enable it.
Load WinSCP (Via Windows) If you have a Mac, load up CyberDuck.
Now, assuming you are connected to your device via WinSCP, go into the folder it listed in MobileTerminal, If you did not get one, or you do not have access to mobile terminal, follow the instructions below.
Using WinSCP, go into the “apt” folder, now locate the “lib” folder, followed by the “list” folder.

While in the folder, you will see every repo added to cydai that you currently have, Now, find the source MobileTerminal listed from the above instruction, click on that source, once blue, either by right clicking, or simpley clicking on “Delete” delete that source (Read ahead below, if you did not recieve a specific source) once deleted, save and quite, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, and open Cydia, if all goes well, it should work and your back in buisness!

If you did not receive a listed source, you are the unlucky one, and what you have to do now, may take some time, but its worth it.
Scroll to the top of the list, while holding CTL, begin to left click every source listed in that folder (Yes, every source.) once at the end, right click, and choose to delete all of them (Don’t be shocked just yet.) once deleted, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, then start Cydia once again, if all goes well, your back in buisness!

NOTE: Even though you just deleted every souce you had once added, it will ONLY delete the currupt source, meaning, every other source you added into Cydia, will remain in contact, along with everything you downloaded once before.

That’s it your done!

I hope this tutorial helped you, as it did me, but i wish i had this when i had the problem myself, if you have any questions at all, please, feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks.

-Moxi

UPDATE:
If this guide happens to not help you in any way, and you are still having problems, then if worse comes to worse, you will have no choice but to re-jailbreak.

This is quite simple, whether you are running Firmware 3.0 and lower, simply use the program you used in the first place to jailbreak, and re-jailbreak. Of course, everything loaded will in-fact be lost, but hey.. It's better than not having it at all right?

Thanks' again,
If anyone needs any help, please feel free to ask.

-Moxi

Edited by Moxi, 28 June 2009 - 07:23 PM.

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello, Moxi here, I am new to the forums, as you can tell :wink:.

I have seen a lot of people having problems with Cydia crashes Etc. via the Support forum.

I have written a very well in-depth tutorial on how to fix crashes on start up, and defects in general, it is very long, as a heads up, but is worth it if you want to fix these problems without having to re-jailbreak.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to PM me, or post down below, and let me know if this helped you, I actually wrote this out myself on my website (Will not list for various reasons, one being advertising) If you would like to know the site, again, PM me :).

without further ado, the guide!

Before i get started, a list of a few things will be needed, as I do not want to waste your time, by finding out in the middle of the proccess you do not have access to one of these.

1. WinSCP program (If you do not have this program,please search WinSCP download via Google.com)

2. A WiFi connection (Just a plugged in router is fine, and by that i mean, your computer does not have to have internet access,and the router can use it, those of you who have this problem, know what I’m talking about.)

3. MobileTerminal (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, if you can’t it’s no big deal, but if deffinetly makes the proccess faster.)

4. ToggleSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as you will need this inorder to use WinSCP.)

5. AutomaticSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as again, you will need this to use WinSCP.)

Now, Since we now have everything we need, let’s get started.
First off, open MobileTerminal via your iPhone/iPod Touch, wait for it to load (this will only take a few seconds.)
Upon it loading, type in the following:

"SU"

It will then ask you to login, asking for a password, the password is “alpine” and is typed in as the following:

"alpine"

After entering a password, you will then need to type in the following as so:

"apt-get update"

This will try and resolve the problem, by finding a direct problem with Cydia, what this does, is look for the source, and or application that is corrupt, which is causing Cydia to crash at random.
You will get something as listed below (Example:)

"/var/lib/apt/lists/acuemedia.com_repertgee_cydia_packages"

What this is, is telling you what exactly is the problem with Cydia, whether it be listing an application, or a direct source.
What you do from here is simple.
Your next step is to either write down that source/application, as we will be needing to delete this via WinSCP.

Skip this step if you received a message stating the source/application.
If you did not get a source or application listed. If you got a messege such as “Fatal” or another stating there was nothing wrong, or you just coulnd’t get it to work at all, in any way shape or form. You are going to have to delete everything in the folder we are going into in the next step, please read on.

Go into your device, whether it be an iPhone, and or iPod Touch, go into Toggle SSH, and enable it.
Load WinSCP (Via Windows) If you have a Mac, load up CyberDuck.
Now, assuming you are connected to your device via WinSCP, go into the folder it listed in MobileTerminal, If you did not get one, or you do not have access to mobile terminal, follow the instructions below.
Using WinSCP, go into the “apt” folder, now locate the “lib” folder, followed by the “list” folder.

While in the folder, you will see every repo added to cydai that you currently have, Now, find the source MobileTerminal listed from the above instruction, click on that source, once blue, either by right clicking, or simpley clicking on “Delete” delete that source (Read ahead below, if you did not recieve a specific source) once deleted, save and quite, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, and open Cydia, if all goes well, it should work and your back in buisness!

If you did not receive a listed source, you are the unlucky one, and what you have to do now, may take some time, but its worth it.
Scroll to the top of the list, while holding CTL, begin to left click every source listed in that folder (Yes, every source.) once at the end, right click, and choose to delete all of them (Don’t be shocked just yet.) once deleted, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, then start Cydia once again, if all goes well, your back in buisness!

NOTE: Even though you just deleted every souce you had once added, it will ONLY delete the currupt source, meaning, every other source you added into Cydia, will remain in contact, along with everything you downloaded once before.

That’s it your done!

I hope this tutorial helped you, as it did me, but i wish i had this when i had the problem myself, if you have any questions at all, please, feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks.

-Moxi

My site is http://zijric.com for those that were asking :)

XjSv

XjSv

I know what im doing!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
i have alot there plus a folder called "partial" that goes too?

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

ok i did all that i got

FETAL

so i deleted everything

OPEN CYDIA

then i went to changes its ALL CLEAR

then i click refresh and it crashes

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

can u elaborate a lil this is very obscure, there r 2 apt folders that i can see

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

PART 3+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I deleted all sources and rebooted now all my sources r gone not only the corrupt ones does this mean all of them were corrupt?

and now what reinstall all of them manualy?

Hatta

Hatta

HALA MADRID

• +Contributor
  • 838 posts
THANK yOUU worked for me :hooray:

EDIT : Not anymore :(

Edited by Hatta, 14 June 2009 - 05:19 PM.

t33jay

t33jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
I urge all to exercise caution in doing this. You may lose all your packages.
I am not doubting the method or its efficacy but 'am jus a lil bit apprehensive.

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If you can be a bit more specific I can probably help you :)

My website might have some information you are looking for as well If I can not do so.

http://Zijric.com

But, I'm sure I myself can do the job.

- Moxi

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I am not doubting the method or its efficacy but 'am jus a lil bit apprehensive.

This is very unlikely, Of course, there is always a possibility with everything when dealing with stuff in this area, But rest assured, it has yet to happen with the people I have helped :)

- Moxi

ravian29

ravian29

Donator

• +Contributor
  • 1522 posts
thanks alot, it worked............ just delete simply all sources and software and app are same here

IPT2G32GBJB

IPT2G32GBJB

SILENCED.

• Members
  • 1244 posts
wow nice well put guide props to ya:P

singmy_sorrow

singmy_sorrow

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey not that new to that iphone jazz but new to terminal, when I typed in "apt-get update" all I get is the error "sh: apt-get: command not found"

IPT2G32GBJB

IPT2G32GBJB

SILENCED.

• Members
  • 1244 posts
make sure you instal all the requirements for terminal from cydia

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks' a lot :)
Really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Post updated for those that still had trouble.

-Moxi

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

-Moxi

rionlee9

rionlee9

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
u can go to apt.saurik.com and download the latest cydia.deb n unpackaged it in ur iphone via SSH terminal or putty. work for me well

rionlee9

rionlee9

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
u can go to apt.saurik.com and download the latest cydia.deb n unpackaged it in ur iphone via SSH terminal or putty. work for me well

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If you can be a bit more specific I can probably help you :)

My website might have some information you are looking for as well If I can not do so.

http://Zijric.com

But, I'm sure I myself can do the job.

- Moxi

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

This is very unlikely, Of course, there is always a possibility with everything when dealing with stuff in this area, But rest assured, it has yet to happen with the people I have helped :)

- Moxi

ravian29

ravian29

Donator

• +Contributor
  • 1522 posts
thanks alot, it worked............ just delete simply all sources and software and app are same here

IPT2G32GBJB

IPT2G32GBJB

SILENCED.

• Members
  • 1244 posts

singmy_sorrow

singmy_sorrow

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey not that new to that iphone jazz but new to terminal, when I typed in "apt-get update" all I get is the error "sh: apt-get: command not found"

IPT2G32GBJB

IPT2G32GBJB

SILENCED.

• Members
  • 1244 posts
make sure you instal all the requirements for terminal from cydia

Moxi

Moxi

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Really appreciate it

-Moxi

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->