• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Elit3

Elit3

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
so in the /System/Library/Fonts/Cache directory there are a **** load of fonts. but i never seen any of these fonts in use on my iphone 3gs. will it be safe to remove some of these fonts to free up some space on my phone? i am on a 3gs 3.1.2

what fonts can i remove?

i mean this file alone; STHeiti-Light.ttc, is 26mb.

please help me with this.

--- Update ---

wtf is this font? AppleGothicRegular.ttf do i even use this?

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

shmi117

shmi117

Hax0r

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1506 posts
I think you should keep those. I messed around with those earlier in my time with my iPod, and it went into a infinite reboot. Luckily I could access SSH and restore my Fonts.

x_wanted_x

x_wanted_x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
They are the default built-in native fonts that may be requested by a webpage or app. Best to leave them alone.

Elit3

Elit3

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
i removed 1 of the fonts. AppleGothicRegular.ttf

CheeseyChung

CheeseyChung

Donator

• +Contributor
  • 1275 posts
^You might not see any problems especially since that font is used rarely but awnted is righ those fonts are called upon by appstore apps. When the app calls on the font it may just be blank or it might cause serious issues

Elit3

Elit3

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
thanks for letting me know, i backed it up just in case it does give me problems.

Jimbohurt

Jimbohurt

DeanBean

• +Contributor
  • 1296 posts

^You might not see any problems especially since that font is used rarely but awnted is righ those fonts are called upon by appstore apps. When the app calls on the font it may just be blank or it might cause serious issues

Yeah you guys are right. But i'm pretty sure all it would do is make those wierd symbols like when you go to some jappenesse website and you just see [] [] [][ ][ ][ ] kinda stuff.

Elit3

Elit3

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
well i found out what app uses AppleGothicRegular.ttf. VLC Remote! i had to restore the font b/c the app kept crashing every time i tried to connect to my remote vlc. :( whatever. i still have 360mb free on root

Elit3

Elit3

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
so, dont delete any of these files. cuz apps might not work if you do.

AceShinobi

AceShinobi

Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
If you really wanted to mess around with fonts and stuff, you could open up the CGFontCache.plist and change the directory of some of the fonts you wish to remove to a font that you don't remove so it'll think you still have it even though you don't. It will end up displaying properly most likely but may look off since it is the wrong font

x_wanted_x

x_wanted_x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

well i found out what app uses AppleGothicRegular.ttf. VLC Remote! i had to restore the font b/c the app kept crashing every time i tried to connect to my remote vlc. :( whatever. i still have 360mb free on root

come on man the few kilobytes ul free up aint worth the hassle... :)

x_wanted_x

x_wanted_x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

If you really wanted to mess around with fonts and stuff, you could open up the CGFontCache.plist and change the directory of some of the fonts you wish to remove to a font that you don't remove so it'll think you still have it even though you don't. It will end up displaying properly most likely but may look off since it is the wrong font

confuzzlin! Lol

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->