• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

xbins00

xbins00

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
im getting a 16gb iphone 4 and i was wondering if i can take the 32 gb drive out of my 3gs and put it in the iphone 4 and it would work?

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

who

who

iPhwner Extraordinaire

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts

im getting a 16gb iphone 4 and i was wondering if i can take the 32 gb drive out of my 3gs and put it in the iphone 4 and it would work?

WTF? That's... MAD! ...but I like it. lol j/k. We have no idea what kind of memory chips they're using in the new iPhones, so the ones in the current 3GSes might not work with the new iPhone 4 motherboards.

iPodster

iPodster

iAddicted

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
sounds like a great idea, but didnt they break the iphone prototype when they opened it? guess i dont have the balls to try it myself....lol

frontsidebus

frontsidebus

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yes you can

borealiszio

borealiszio

Zio

• +Contributor
  • 603 posts

lol pls dun do tt = x u might just spoil ur iphone 4 when u receive it lol... at least wait for some videos on how people disassemble the parts then u might consider trying?

Topher

Topher

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
The memory, probably not. Well it's theoretically possible but since you called it a harddrive, and it is not a hard drive by any means, I am going to assume that you probably don't have the fine soldering skills to be able to do it.

Another way to do it is just swap the logic board of your 16 and a 32GB one. That only tends to work when you have two of the same. Between 3gs and 4 I have no idea. It is very very unlikely.

Edited by Topher, 17 June 2010 - 08:55 AM.

noi80

noi80

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

If you are going to risk a device worth $600~800 to increase the memory by 16GB, why not invest $100 more and get the 32GB?

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

-James D. Miles

Zappler

Zappler

Hecki Hecki Hecki Patteng

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

If you are going to risk a device worth $600~800 to increase the memory by 16GB, why not invest $100 more and get the 32GB?

my words, bro! Posted Image

Nathan_infinity

Nathan_infinity

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
couldn't hjsut pput and extra micro sd card . loll

Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

The memory, probably not. Well it's theoretically possible but since you called it a harddrive, and it is not a hard drive by any means, I am going to assume that you probably don't have the fine soldering skills to be able to do it.

Another way to do it is just swap the logic board of your 16 and a 32GB one. That only tends to work when you have two of the same. Between 3gs and 4 I have no idea. It is very very unlikely.

It is possible. You'll end up with a 3GS in the case of the 4, without a working display because they will likely change the graphics card.
But you can still SSH in, so...

noseter

noseter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes

pteronaut

pteronaut

Jailbroken

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

It is possible. You'll end up with a 3GS in the case of the 4, without a working display because they will likely change the graphics card.
But you can still SSH in, so...

That won't work as the logic boards are shaped completely different.

ElDominio

ElDominio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
WTF people.

Doing this is stupidly impractical. It requires extreme soldering skills.

Hard drives are a thing of the past people.... The iPhone uses NAND, it's not just plug and play...

who

who

iPhwner Extraordinaire

• +Contributor
  • 1961 posts
You guys haven't heard of a reflow station, huh? You can just heat up the glue under the memory chip and slip that bastard into a compatible socket, but the real question is: does the new iPhone 4 use the same socket and if so, does it read it the same?

ww2

ww2

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You have to desolder flash memory from 3GS and solder it into 4 ;) piece of cake? I don't think so, because you can break the flash memory (I mean - kill it).

ElDominio

ElDominio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You guys haven't heard of a reflow station, huh? You can just heat up the glue under the memory chip and slip that bastard into a compatible socket, but the real question is: does the new iPhone 4 use the same socket and if so, does it read it the same?

Reflow stations ain't cheap ;)

who

who

iPhwner Extraordinaire

• +Contributor
  • 1961 posts

You have to desolder flash memory from 3GS and solder it into 4 ;) piece of cake? I don't think so, because you can break the flash memory (I mean - kill it).

or you could do this:

chris102192

chris102192

Elite Member/Win 7 Master

• +Contributor
  • 722 posts
Or you could just accept what you can afford and scrap this whole idiotic idea....
This all makes no sense... no one should even attempt to do this.

In response to the video above... wouldnt it have been smart to turn the phone off first???
and, go ahead and do that... just make sure you have six back up iPhones to F**K up when you do it.

Edited by chris102192, 20 June 2010 - 06:08 AM.

IPB skins by Skinbox