• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
First there was AirVideoEnabler to stream from your iPad to your AppleTV, now another mod for another feature Apple "forgot" to include in 4.2

Allow your iOS device to be an AirPlay Speaker!!!!

You can currently AirPlay to an Apple TV, an audio system connected to an AirPort Express station or an AirPlay-enabled audio system. But, you can’t send audio from an iOS device to another iOS device or from iTunes on your Mac/PC to an iPhone/iPad.

Imagine the possibilities of iOS devices as AirPlay speakers: you’re in the car, iPhone is connected to your car’s audio setup, a friend’s in the backseat playing with his iPad. He wants to send some music from his iPad library to the iPhone, he fires up the iPod app on his tablet and instantly streams music to the car’s audio system thanks to the iPhone acting as a speaker. Or, your Mac’s in your bedroom and you want to play some tunes on your iPad. If only the iPad was an AirPlay speaker, you wouldn’t have to sync music (and thus eat space) on it.

Now you can!!!!

Requirements:

iTunes 10.1 installed on your computer;
Jailbroken iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad running iOS 4.1 / iOS 4.2.1 (4.2.1 recommended);

- Reboot your device after install

- Make sure your computer and the iOS device are on the same local network.

- Start iTunes on your computer, and play a song. If everything has been set up correctly, you should notice the AirPlay icon in the lower right corner. Click on it, and you’ll see a speaker icon with the name of the iOS device you want to turn into an AirPlay speaker.

Attached Files

Edited by dannyben, 30 November 2010 - 04:09 PM.

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

Jailbr0k

Jailbr0k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
work fine

Send musique sounds iTunes to iPad or
iPad 4.2.1 music to iPhone 4.1

thx
good work

Edited by Jailbr0k, 30 November 2010 - 04:49 PM.

shockme17

shockme17

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
pretty neat.. though, it's choppy when the screen is turned off on the iphone 4..
interesting that it shows up as an appletv...

is there anyway to airplay from itunes to itunes?

Edited by shockme17, 30 November 2010 - 05:33 PM.

wtfmfer

wtfmfer

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yep this is impressive. For anyone that has any extra 4.1 capable iDevices laying around, you have really nice surround speakers through wifi with zero lagtime.
Multiple fill speakers. Someone could probably code some delay time settings to do some cool effects or something for this.
I think its something we should have had written into the phones OS a long time ago. Glad I got it now tho.
Thanks for the post danny.
:)

Nickers

Nickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
iPhone 3gs: 4.1
iTunes: 10.1
Windows 7 64-Bit

Final conclusion....No cigar :(

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

is there anyway to airplay from itunes to itunes?

Doesn't home sharing within iTunes do that?

This is simply to stream to any idevice from either iTunes or another idevice. No reason Apple didn't include this in their iOS except they simply wanted to sell airplay speakers??? This will also turn any dock speaker system into an airplay system too.

My first deb.... Glad you guys are enjoying.

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

iPhone 3gs: 4.1
iTunes: 10.1
Windows 7 64-Bit

Final conclusion....No cigar :(

Don't have a 3G or 3GS to test. Did you reboot the iPhone after install? Completely close iTunes and relaunch too.

pteronaut

pteronaut

Jailbroken

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Deb working fine on my iPhone 4, rebooted after install, (had to do that to get the hack to work after installing it manually yesterday.) didn't need to restart iTunes 10.1 32bit. Ever thought about submitting this to a mainstream repo such as ModMyI? I know of some people who would like this but I wouldn't want to point them here to find it.

Edited by pteronaut, 30 November 2010 - 06:19 PM.

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Deb working fine on my iPhone 4, rebooted after install, (had to do that to get the hack to work after installing it manually yesterday.) didn't need to restart iTunes 10.1 32bit. Ever thought about submitting this to a mainstream repo such as ModMyI? I know of some people who would like this but I wouldn't want to point them here to find it.

Should be up in Cydia within a few days. Wanted to contribute back to the community here prior ;)

farhanito

farhanito

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
do we need to have AirPort Express??
or any wireless network will suffice?

*the AirPlay icon didn't show up :(

shockme17

shockme17

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Doesn't home sharing within iTunes do that?

This is simply to stream to any idevice from either iTunes or another idevice. No reason Apple didn't include this in their iOS except they simply wanted to sell airplay speakers??? This will also turn any dock speaker system into an airplay system too.

My first deb.... Glad you guys are enjoying.

nah, home sharing only allows you to play music off of other shared itunes libraries.. i'd like to use airplay to send music from either my iphone/ipad/macbook to my media center mac mini and just have it automatically play without further configuration.

NovaTornado

NovaTornado

Meh...

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
any way to toggle this? dont want someone randomly playing music on my ipod at somewhere public xD havent tried it yet, hope it works.

SystemFolder

SystemFolder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
iPhone 3GS
iOS 4.1
Mac OS 10.6.5
iTunes 10.1

I installed AirplaySpeaker through Cydia and it installed fine. I rebooted the phone and the Mac multiple times, they are both connected to the same Airport, and I still don't see any icon in the lower right corner of iTunes. Please help.

farhanito

farhanito

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

iPhone 3GS
iOS 4.1
Mac OS 10.6.5
iTunes 10.1

I installed AirplaySpeaker through Cydia and it installed fine. I rebooted the phone and the Mac multiple times, they are both connected to the same Airport, and I still don't see any icon in the lower right corner of iTunes. Please help.

i have the same problem with ipod2g iOS4.2.1

tried running airtunesd manually, and i get
"Bad CPU type in executable"

therobotz

therobotz

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
itunes 10.1
iphone 4.1 jb
ipad 4.2.1 jb
iphone 3gs 4.1 jb
all working fine...
:thumbsup:

Guest_pmichaelro_*

Guest_pmichaelro_*
  • Guests
iTunes 10.1, iPhone 4 with 4.1 jb working flawlessly :D

LobsterX

LobsterX

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I have itunes 10.1

installed onto my 3G via autoinstall

can't seem to work? I don't see any "airplay" icon

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I have itunes 10.1

installed onto my 3G via autoinstall

can't seem to work? I don't see any "airplay" icon

Seems that a few with 3G and 3GS are reporting problems? Although therobotz has confirmed working on his 3GS.

Make sure:

1. Reboot iPhone after install
2. Close iTunes and re-open
3. Make sure you press play in iTunes -- AirPlay will NOT show unless a song is playing first ;)

If those still fail -- and this is an even cooler feature of this tweek -- Run remote.app from your iPhone (iPad) connecting to your library on your Mac/PC and after playing song hit the AirPlay button on the bottom right (should show your idevice there and start playing on it).

Can anyone else confirm 3G or 3GS?

Edited by dannyben, 01 December 2010 - 05:27 AM.

DM1976

DM1976

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Doesn´t work for me.I have an iPhone 4 ios4.2.1. I tried everything.Any ideas? Remote app works perfectly.
I have a PC Windows7.

Edited by DM1976, 01 December 2010 - 06:16 AM.

dannyben

dannyben

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Doesn´t work for me.I have an iPhone 4 ios4.2.1. I tried everything.Any ideas? Remote app works perfectly.
I have a PC Windows7.

You're saying it doesnt work (doesn't show the iPhone as a AirPlay speaker) from within iTunes but does work from within the remote.app?

Also... If you start playing music on your iPod.app after streaming you WILL lose the connection. To fix, simply restart itunes and then disconnect & reconnect your iDevice to your network. This fix SHOULD help all having issues.

Edited by dannyben, 01 December 2010 - 06:42 AM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->